Sunday, May 5, 2013

Engaged

Dear diary,

I am engaged !!!

Yeeeey! I can not seem to say that enough nowdays. I am engaged LOL. It has been crazy past couple of weeks, with official introductions, to betrothal and dowry and now yeeey I am engaged. I am so happy, over the top happy. I am getting married in August 31st to a wonderful and romantic man whom I am crazy about.

So, it all started in early April. After talking to my parents they agreed that they officially wanted to meet my boyfriend before anything takes place. The had met him before, not in a official capacity as my boyfriend though. So, one weekend I invited him over to meet my parents. He came and all went well. And then preparations started for betrothal and dowry.

In our culture, when a boy meets a girl and they want to get married, that boy had to meet with the girls family first. When they approve of him he then has to officially come home accompanied by a grown man (could be anyone from a friend to a family member) and ask the girls parents for her hand in marriage. The girl is usually supposed to be called and identify the boy and state whether she agrees or not. If she does, the girls parents will then go ahead and tell the boy what he should bring as a dowry. (Bride price)

My parents are so good. So right now all the above has already been done and everything went without a hitch, (well almost). And the dowry that my in laws have paid is really just something symbolic to honour the traditions. I love my Dad because he kept it to the minimal and my in laws will forever respect me for that. It will never feel like I was bought or something.

So, the wedding preparations have begun, and I am so exicted, except for the fact I am still too Fat to be a bride. And I'm at loss as what to do anymore.

Anyway, time will tell.

Yours Truly
Rubi

No comments:

Post a Comment